sagamore hill.jpg (15341 bytes)

Sagamore Hill National Historical Site
20 Sagamore Hill Road
Oyster Bay, NY 11771
(516) 922-4447
http://www.nps.gov/sahi/home.htm

Sagamore Hill, in Oyster Bay on Long Island, was Theodore Roosevelt's home from 1886 until his death on Jan. 6, 1919. The 28-room Shingle-style structure, built in 1885, is the heart of this national historic site. The house was used as the "Summer White House" from 1902 until 1908 when Theodore Roosevelt served as 26th president of the United States.

Constructed on a hilltop between 1884 and 1885, Theodore Roosevelt envisioned a large, sturdy, rambling three-story, Queen Anne-style home. The house was built with wide porches to catch the breezes and views of Long Island Sound and Oyster Bay. Today, Roosevelt's Sagamore Hill home is furnished as it was during his busy lifetime. Also on the site's grounds is the Old Orchard Museum, a Georgian-styled home built in 1938 by President Roosevelt's eldest son, Gen. Ted Roosevelt Jr. Now the park's museum, Old Orchard has exhibits and films on President Theodore Roosevelt's political career, his family life at Sagamore Hill and the lives of his six children.

The museum includes furnishings and memorabilia associated with Roosevelt, including furniture, books, china, and decorative and fine arts from Frederic Remington, Kenneys, Augustus Saint-Gaudens, the Herter Brothers and other American artists. Memorabilia of Roosevelt's public career include his "Rough Rider" uniform, campaign materials and gifts sent to him by the public. The museum collection also includes archeological, architectural and natural history materials.

The site's research collection contains historic photographs, family letters, photo albums and scrapbooks, as well as archival materials related to the preservation of Sagamore Hill by the Theodore Roosevelt Association.

The grounds are open daily from dawn to dusk. The remainder of the site is open daily except for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. The Visitor Center/Bookstore is open daily from 9 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

backhome.GIF (2398 bytes)
Back to T.R.
Centennial Site